Ronald McDonald House®
The Ronald McDonald House® of Southwest Florida is a “home-away-from-home” for families of seriously ill or injured children, receiving medical treatment at Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida or other local medical facilities.
With the Ronald McDonald House, families don’t have to worry about where to stay if they are far from home. Our “home-away-from-home” allows families to stay near their hospitalized child at little to no cost. At the Ronald McDonald House in Southwest Florida, families enjoy home-cooked meals, receive gracious hospitality from staff and volunteers, rest, and recharge to remain strong for their child— all just minutes from the hospital where their child is receiving care. This shared environment also allows families to interact with other families going through similar experiences.
Since 1996, thousands of families have stayed at the Ronald McDonald House in Fort Myers. Our 24/7 facility has 12 private bedroom suites with a bathroom, a fully stocked kitchen, dining room, living room, and laundry room.
The Ronald McDonald House in SWFL is conveniently located adjacent to Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida on the Lee Health campus in South Fort Myers (off of Bass Road).
The Ronald McDonald House is staffed with a full-time President & CEO, Director of Volunteer & Family Services, Director of Administrative Operations, Director of House Operations & Services, Director of Development, Director of Marketing & Creative Design, and part-time maintenance staff. A Weekend Manager serves from 5:00 pm each Friday up to 5:00 pm Sunday. We also have an ever-growing army of amazing volunteers.
Helping families during their child’s health care journey
The Ronald McDonald House program in SWFL helps reduce stress and financial burden for families when they have to travel long distances from home to access medical care for their child.
What you can expect if you stay at the Ronald McDonald House in Fort Myers, Florida:
Ronald McDonald House is equipped with all the necessities along with modern amenities. The Ronald McDonald House in Fort Myers, FL offers:
- Private Bedrooms: Includes two queen-sized Tempur-Pedic® beds, a writing desk, armoire, closet, mini-fridge, and a full private bathroom (handicap accessible available). You’ll also have your telephone equipped with voicemail.
- Living Room: A cable TV connection and a DVD player are provided in the living room. There is enough space available for playing puzzles, reading and other such activities.
- Food/Meals: We have a kitchen and a pantry, both well-stocked with donated and purchased food for our families. We make an effort to provide a hot meal every evening. (On evenings, a meal is not prepared, residents are encouraged to make use of our kitchen facilities). We also have a large, family-style dining area.
- Security: CCTV cameras monitor the Ronald McDonald House 24/7. The house is staffed daily from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm. The House/Resident Manager (or Weekend Manager) remains on-site and on-call from 9:00 pm to 9:00 am, seven days a week.
- Internet Access: For those with a computer system, wireless internet is available free of charge.
- Transportation: In favorable weather conditions, Golisano Children’s Hospital provides a courtesy shuttle service that runs continuously from Monday to Friday evenings. Transport is available on weekends upon request.
- Laundry: Residents can use our washers and dryers for free. The laundry room can be accessed from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm. Laundry soap and dryer sheets are also provided in the House.
- Quiet Room: A peaceful, private room to escape and relax. It has a comfortable seating area with dim lighting and a tranquil water feature.
- Lanai: You can always get some fresh air and sun in our screen-in lanai, along with a relaxing seating area.
- Information Board: Residents are kept up-to-date with the daily postings of the House activities through information boards.
- Tours: Tours are given to families before check-in. For guests, they are available upon request.
Research shows that RMHC and the Ronald McDonald House program:
- Support the family’s psychological well-being by keeping them close and providing emotional and physical comfort.
- Enhances the hospital experience for the child and the family.
- Helps alleviate the financial stress caused due to accommodation needs.
- This results in better sleep quality for parents which gives them the rest they need to make critical decisions related to their child’s care.
- Helps families cope better and focus on the needs of their sick child by providing support from family members and other families.
- Gives families who stay at a Ronald McDonald House a better-perceived view of life.
Interested in Volunteering for RMHC in SWFL?
You can support us in several ways including Volunteering, Wish List, Donations, and Family Meal Program. We need you and your generosity. Your support is vital and will be appreciated by all those who enter the Ronald McDonald House.
The House is open daily from 9:00 am until 9:00 pm. If you are interested in having a tour of the House, you may schedule it in advance by contacting us at 239-437-0202. RMHC of Southwest Florida requests all the visitors and volunteers who exhibit symptoms of illness to reschedule their visit until they are symptom-free.
If you are a social worker or medical personnel, you can fill out a referral for a family to stay at the Ronald McDonald House SWFL. You can also download our Partner Packet to read more about what we do, how we help, and more.