Ronald McDonald House®
The Ronald McDonald House® of Southwest Florida is a “home-away-from-home” for families of seriously ill or injured children, receiving medical treatment at Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida or other local medical facilities.
The Ronald McDonald House helps loved ones remain together as a family in an environment of comfort, compassion, strength, and support. Serving families who must travel far from home, the House is much more than a room to stay in. It provides support and resources for families with sick children just steps from the hospital. The Ronald McDonald House offers a place to call home at little or no cost so families can stay together. Since 1996, thousands of families have stayed at the Ronald McDonald House in Fort Myers. Our 24/7 facility has private bedroom suites with bath, fully stocked kitchen, dining room, living room, and laundry room.
We are conveniently located adjacent to Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida on the Lee Health campus in South Fort Myers (off of Bass Road). We are staffed with a full time Executive Director, Marketing Director, Business Manager, Volunteer Manager, House Manager, and part-time maintenance. A Weekend Manager serves from 5:00 pm each Friday through 5:00 pm Sunday. We also have an ever-growing army of amazing volunteers.
Families are asked for a modest donation of $10 per day to cover a small portion of the actual cost of the stay. However, no one is ever turned away because of an inability to pay.
What you can expect if you stay at the Ronald McDonald House in Fort Myers, FL:
- Private Bedrooms: Includes two queen-sized Tempur-Pedic® beds, writing desk, armoire, closet, mini-fridge, and a full private bathroom (handicap accessible available). You’ll also have your own telephone equipped with voicemail.
- Living Room: Cable TV and a DVD player are provided in the living room. There is space available for puzzles, reading and more.
- Food/Meals: We have a kitchen and pantry, both well-stocked with donated and purchased food for our families. We make an effort to provide a hot meal every evening. (On evenings a meal is not prepared, residents are encouraged to make use of our kitchen facilities). We also have a large, family-style dining area.
- Security: Cameras monitor the House 24 hours a day. The House is staffed daily from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm. The House/Resident Manager (or Weekend Manager) remains on-site and on-call from 9:00 pm to 9:00 am, seven days a week.
- Internet Access: For those with their own computer, wireless internet is available free of charge.
- Transportation: Weather permitting, Golisano Children’s Hospital provides a courtesy shuttle service which runs continuously Monday thru Friday. Evenings and weekends upon request.
- Laundry: Residents have free use of our washers and dryers. There is access to the laundry room from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm. Laundry soap and dryer sheets are provided.
- Quiet Room: A private room to escape and relax, complete with a comfortable seating area, dim lighting, and a tranquil water feature.
- Lanai: Get some fresh air and sun in our screen-in lanai, complete with a relaxing seating area.
- Information Board: Residents are kept up-to-date with the daily postings of House activities.
- Tours: Available upon request, prior to check-in
Research shows that RMHC and the Ronald McDonald House program:
- Supports a family’s psychological well-being by keeping them close together and providing emotional and physical comfort and support.
- Enhances the hospital experience for the child and the family.
- Helps alleviate the financial stress of accommodation needs.
- Results in better sleep quality for parents which gives them the rest they need to make critical decisions related to their child’s care.
- Helps families cope better and focus on the needs of their sick child when they have support from family members and other families.
- Gives families who stay at a Ronald McDonald House are a better perceived quality of life.
Come Visit and Help Out!
Please take a look at the many ways you may support us including Volunteering, Wish List, Donations, and Family Meal Program. We need you. Your support is vital and appreciated by all those who enter our House.
The Ronald McDonald House is open daily from 9:00 am until 9:00 pm. If you are interested in having a tour of the House, you may schedule it in advance by contacting us at 239-437-0202. RMHC of Southwest Florida asks that all visitors and volunteers who demonstrate symptoms of illness reschedule their visit until they are symptom free.
If you are a social worker or medical personnel, you can fill out a referral for a family to stay at the Ronald McDonald House SWFL by visiting rmhcswfl.org/request-to-stay. You can also download our Partner Packet to read more about what we do, how we help, and more.