Family Meal Program
The Family Meal program provides support to families who are taking care of their sick children, and often don’t have the time, funds, or energy to prepare a home-cooked meal. After a long day at the hospital, a hot meal is a blessing!
Organizations, groups, corporate teams, collegiate groups, and individuals are needed to provide and prepare meals for the families staying at the Ronald McDonald House®. Our kitchen facilities have everything you need to prepare a meal; we simply ask that volunteers bring whatever ingredients are needed for as many as 24 people (depending on the current occupancy).
In an effort to prevent food borne illnesses, all meals must be either prepared at the House or delivered/catered from a restaurant or pre-packaged supermarket tray. Dinner is to be ready to serve by 6:00pm. If you care to prepare breakfast/brunch or baked goods, those options are also available. Please call Volunteer Manager, Illeny Farese at 239-437-0202 for more information.
Know before you go…
- Bring a government issued ID
- If coming in a large group, consider carpooling as parking is limited
- Participants must be free of contagious diseases, including cold and flu symptoms
- You may be asked to be in a photo for social media purposes
- Drinking alcoholic beverages during volunteer activities is prohibited
- Safe Food Handling Practices
Steps for a Successful Meal…
- FORM: Fill out a Volunteer Application.
- SCHEDULE: Call to schedule a date. We need your name, phone number & email.
- CONFIRM: Confirm by calling the House at 239-437-0202 prior to your scheduled meal date for final headcount (max is 24 people).
- SHOP: Decide on your menu & purchase supplies. Prepackaged & sealed desserts are acceptable. Beverages are not required.
- COOK: Families start to arrive at the house for dinner between 5:30pm-6pm. You may come early to prepare & we’ll heat up the meal later or you can come late afternoon. We have cooking utensils, pots, pans, two stoves, two microwaves, a toaster oven, & two crock pots.
- CLEAN: We ask that you clean up the kitchen after the meal preparation. Cleaning supplies are provided.
Please know that these meals are greatly appreciated by our families. Enjoy yourself and feel free to take pictures and send them to Marketing Director, Amy Blanco for social media posts.
If you are unable to come in and prepare a meal, please consider purchasing a meal to be delivered by a local restaurant.